The large beautiful plates by photographer Hermann Rückwardt show pictures of boat lifts, bridges and locks in the port cities of Dortmund and Emden. Hermann Rückwardt was one of Berlin’s most prominent photographers in the late 19th century. He began his career in 1868 when he purchased a portrait studio in Berlin. In no time Rückwardt became a celebrated architectural photographer. In 1876, he became the Royal Prussian court photographer and 1885 was appointed Royal Bavarian court photographer. Eventually he entered the publishing business and specialized in publishing high-quality photographs of the city, this title included. 14 large, technically outstanding tissue guarded photogravure prints.