This photogravure is from the journal generally known as The Photographic Times, one of America’s earliest and most important photographic journals. This publication was an invaluable reference for the ever expanding photography movement in America at the turn of the century. The Photographic Times first appeared as a supplement incorporated within the pages of the monthly Philadelphia Photographer, one of the first journals devoted to photography published in America beginning in 1864. By 1882, an original mounted photograph was inserted, and in 1887, the size was increased to a large quarto, and fine photomechanical illustrations began appearing. By 1889 issues were accompanied by well executed hand-pulled photogravure plates which appeared regularly until 1904. Due to changes in ownership or marketing strategies the name changed at least four times over the course of its 45 year run making keeping track of the specifics very difficult. First edited by Edward Wilson, the editorship transferred to John Thraill Taylor, who enlarged the scope in 1880, when it became The Photographic Times and American Photographer. It absorbed The American Photographer in 1879 to become The Photographic Times and American Photographer. In 1902, it merged with Anthony’s Bulletin to form The Photographic Times Bulletin.